Another Year

Salutations! I currently writing you all from sunny Mexico City where I am on spring break for a week. Yesterday marked the 4th anniversary of this blog, my most tiny and precious chip of the World Wide Web and the universe as a whole. Yesterday brought about bittersweet feelings of both pride and shame; proud of all the work I've put into these four years, shame in how it's been months since I last posted. But my faults are not without reason. As some of you may recall, if any of you remain, I am currently a sophomore in high school, which leaves very little time for individually driven intellectual exploration. (See Academia Crushes Intellectual Curiosity, a phrase that I find I repeat to myself almost on the daily.) While I haven't kept up with the fashion world as much as I used to/ would like to, I am maintaining my creativity through other means, specifically art. I've been painting and drawing and exploring the world of fine art, simply because it's easier to keep up with than the world of high fashion, which moves at an ungodly and alarming rate. As for my writing, I haven't been able to do as much independent work as I used to, but my English classes keep me in line, and I always keep a working collection of poetry and prose on my phone. 

I have absolutely no idea what I want to be in life, nor do I think I have to know, contrary to the message pushed on us students where we should have every detail of our life planned out and ready to be executed. I do, however, know what I like and don't like, what interests me and what doesn't, so one of the greatest challenges ahead of me is to find a way to make a living doing something I enjoy. If anyone has a simple solution, please feel free to share, but for now I think hard work is the only answer. 

Almost everyone around me, from my peers to teachers and even my own parents, focuses on the monetary values of their future and mine. But walking through these streets of Mexico, seeing the little girls playing with sticks and the old women, with their broken chanclas, still singing, has confirmed my belief that happiness should be everyone's goal. I know it's hard to be happy without a dollar to your name, but I also know the feeling I get after I finish a painting or a poem or a good book. It's the same feeling that those little girls and old women feel and it's simply impossible to live without.


1 comment:

  1. You're correct that the fashion world/news moves at neck breaking speeds, however, your posts about this world were/are interesting so I hope you continue to write about it. The acedemia of your youth will one day fuel your intellectual curiosity later, so absorb all you can now- however dull the subject matter may seem at the time. Hope you enjoyed your spring break!

    ReplyDelete